Sunday, October 23, 2005

Saturday... er, Sunday, Shout-Outs

I know. I know. There were no Saturday Shout-Outs yesterday. I blame it on the entire airline industry. I almost missed my flight from Kansas City to Salt Lake City. A big shout-out to the unnamed Delta employee who saw the desperation on my face and let me onto the flight, even though I arrived less than 20 minutes before the plane's departure. When I arrived in Salt Lake, I rushed to the other side of the airport to make my connecting flight to LAX. I made it. We left the gate. Then sat on the runway for more than an hour ("mechanical difficulties"). So by the time I made it home, Crystal got me some eggs, took me home, and I fell hard to sleep. It was hours later before she made it home with the kids. And I was in the same place she left me. I got up and we had dinner together. Then I stayed up for the rest of the night to sharpen the two messages I had to deliver this morning.

This was a tough day. It was one of the strange days when I feel like I didn't have the congregation's attention. I don't feel that way very often. But I did today. And I worked really hard on this message. It was on Colossians 4:2-4. I called it, "Continue Steadfast in Prayer." (That's the words of 4:2a. I'm not really into fancy titles.). But it didn't really seem like I ever connected with the congregation. I am not sure I was being clear. I couldn't tell if they were getting it or disinterested or what. I don't think I was looking for any particular response. But I was very excited about the message and the opportunity to teach on the subject of prayer. And I don't think they were excited as I was about it. These are the kind of Sundays when I especially thank God for the sovereignty of God at work in the mystery of preaching. Oh well, I hope I live to fight another day.

My ministry trip to Kansas-Missouri was refreshing. I like Pastor Slack. And his congregation was very kind to me and my preaching. I pray that the Lord continues to bless this growing congregation.

A young preacher in my city, Storm Evans, passed away this week. He was only about 19 years-old. But he had been preaching since he was a boy. And he could also play the organ and piano. He was a good kid. He loved preaching and preachers. He had been sick for some time with a rare form of cancer. Please pray for his family and church that God would give them comfort, strength, and peace during this time.

My mom, Ellen, is in town. I haven't got to see much of her. She has been here to take care of my younger sister, Donetta, who has been ill. My mom was in church to hear me preach this morning. I was nervous having her sitting there in front of me on the second row. She's proud of every thing I do. That encourages me. I love her and miss her. And I look forward to spending some time with her before she goes home to Oklahoma City (another city that has to affirm itself by putting the word "city" in its name - LOL).

Today was the first Sunday our new Ministry of Music, Shirley, led in our worship services. It was different. And I think a new person leading was somewhat awkward for the church. But change is good, inevitable, and beneficial. And I really like Shirley. Her attitude toward the the Lord and worship is refreshing. Continue to pray for this transition in the life of our church.

It is only because I am deliriously tired that I am still at my desk and writing a post after I just finished preaching. Anything off the wall that you have read here, blame it on the fact that I am suffering from a severe case of Post Ministry Syndrome.