Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Long Time No Hear From

Hey, where have you been? I've been around. Two weeks ago, I was in Chicago preaching the first pastoral anniversary for my friend Romell Williams of Lillydale Progressive Baptist Church. Last week, I was in Pasadena/Altadena, preaching a three-night meeting for my friend Pastor Tyrone Skinner of the Metropolitan Baptist Church. Other than that, I've been around the home front. I've been hanging out with my wife and kids, as much as possible. I been in the office, praying, reading, studying, planning, and meeting. And I've been back in my pulpit. I was only out of it for two weeks, but it feels much longer than that. It is good to be back home, ministering to my own congregation. And, oh yeah, I've been trying to get some rest, sort of, kind of, a little bit.

How are you doing? I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking. I have not had any more serious chest pains, like the ones that sent me to the ER a few weeks ago. I have had several visits to the doctor, as well. They put me through the ringers, but they couldn't find anything major wrong with me, except for the fact that I need to eat less and exercise more (Wow! All those years of medical school for that profound advice). I am trying to follow their instructions. I am allergic to most healthy foods, though. So it has been an adjustment for me to try different foods. I only eat when I get hungry. But when I get hungry, I don't want to experiment. I want to go with what I know - eggs, burgers, or chicken. But I am trying to do better. And I am feeling much better. Thanks for your prayers and your cards, calls, and emails of concern.

Why haven't you been blogging?!?! My dog ate my blog. Not really. But I don't have a better exucse than that. Actually, I've been really busy, really tired, and really vulnerable since my last blog. This is the time the leaders of my congregation do our major planning for the upcoming year. To prepare for my role in this process, I spend a lot of time examining the past year, evaluating my present direction, and dreaming about the future. And this is a rather difficult time for me. I become prone to frustration, discouragement, and anxiety during times like these. And it has been kind of bad over the past week. Believe me, you wouldn't have wanted to hear a blog about what I've been thinking lately! But I am coming out of it, praise God. Iroincally, being in church really ministered to me Sunday. The funny thing about that is that, as the pastor, I was there to minister to the congregation. And yet being in worship and preaching the word to my beloved congregation ministered to me more than any way I ministered to them. That's the great irony of Christian service: God ministers to you as you minister to others! I dare you to try it.