Friday, October 21, 2005

I made it to Kansas-Missouri

So I finally made it safely to Kansas City. Pastor Slack got me something to eat. I checked into the hotel. Changed shirts. Then went to preach. I wasn't really sure what I was going to preach until I went to my room to put on my tie. This can be a rather scary feeling, I must admit. Many times I go to preach and have a clear schedule in my mind and heart for what to preach. Then there are other times when I have no clue from night to night. Those times make me kind of nervous. There are even some times when I don't know what I am going to preach until I am actually in the worship service. Every congregation is different. Every preacher is different. And every worship service is different. So sometimes I have to kind of get a feel for the room, so to speak, before I have clarity about what I should say. It's all a part of the great mystery of preaching. I try to be prepared and make myself available for whatever the Lord wants to do through me.

Hopefully, I will be able to spend most of this day finishing my preparations for Sunday. I am a little behind. And I am planning to preach only part of a paragraph (Col. 4:2-4), even though I am studying the entire paragraph (Col. 4:2-6). Maybe being behind this week will put me ahead for next week. I have one more sermon to preach here (And, yes, I don't know what it is going to be yet). I am scheduled to fly home tomorrow. And I am scheduled to get into LAX early enough that I will have most of the day left. That's cool. I may take my children out on a date while Crystal attends her Women's Fellowship meeting. I hope to also resume my "Saturday Shout-Outs." Stay tuned.