Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Opportunity of the Overwhelmed

I am overwhelmed. This is my first full week in the office in several weeks. And, of course, there are various things that I have to catch up on. Likewise, I am in the midst of the preparation process for end-of-the-year ministry stuff and the planning process for beginning-of-the-year stuff. Today alone, I have a bunch of emails and phone calls to return. I have three meetings. I have to prepare for a lesson tonight that I was not scheduled to teach until about twenty-four hours ago. There are also a few soul-feeding books that I am trying to work my way through. My personal reading is a vital part of my routine that helps me maintain my focus and keeps my heart soft and mind open to the Lord. So when I don't get the personal reading time that I need, my soul gets a little frustrated. There is much study to do, as always. And there is some other work that I have to finish. The rest of the week is going to be even busier for me than today. And in the midst of all these task-oriented stuff and the study oriented work I have to do alone, I have to be open, ready, and intentional about my time with other people. There are many needs in Mt. Sinai. And it's a challenge to just keep up with them all, much less minister to everything you hear about. It's all a bit overwhelming.

As I think about all that is ahead of me, my flesh is tempted to become frustrated, discouraged, and anxious. But I am learning to view these times when I am overwhelmed as opportunities to trust God and draw closer to him. For instance, there is no way I am going to be able to accomplish everything that is on my to-do list today. So I have two options. I can try as hard as I can to get as much done as possible. But, not matter how much I accomplish; I will end the day with much undone. Then my ride home will be miserable. My evening with my wife and kids will be dampened. My rest will be disrupted. My flesh will get engaged. And it will be hard to get out of bed to have to do it all again in the morning. So I am choosing to "veto" that bill. Instead, I choose to abide in Christ today. I will strive to be open to his leadership in every way and do what he wants me to do when he wants me to do it. I want to trust him wholeheartedly, lean not on my own understanding, and acknowledge him in all my ways; so that he may make my pathway straight today (Prov 3:5-6).

In short, I want to view the fact that I am overwhelmed as an opportunity to pray more, lean harder, wait patiently, praise intentionally, and serve humbly, knowing that all my help comes from the Lord. My sufficiency is in him, not myself. And I want to do my work today in a way that reflects my trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. And I recommend that you do the same. I'm sure you have your own extended to-do list today (Hey! If we're so busy, what am I doing writing this post? And what are you doing reading it?!?!). Today is an opportunity for you to stand on the promises of God, trust him for wisdom, strength, and peace, and strive for joy in him. Don't miss this golden opportunity!