Thursday, October 27, 2005

Sanctify Wherever You Are!

I am writing this post from my "other office." It's a cafe' not far from the church. When I'm in town, I usually come here about once a week for breakfast; even though the last several times I've been in here, it was lunchtime. Either time, though, it's usually busy and crowded in here. Often, I get a ringside seat to see rather heated exchanges between pressured waitresses and impatient customers. Sometimes it's funny; most times it is not. Anyway, I am yet to have an incident here, praise God. I come in with my books, computer, and iPod. I usually order the same thing. In fact, they usually order for me, just checking in with me to make sure nothing has changed. After that, they pretty much leave me alone and let me turn one of their tables into the makeshift office, some times for more than several hours. And I've been able to get a lot done here.

This was not always possible for me. There was a time when I had to be in my study with my desk and books and all that is routine for me, in order to get anything accomplished. My study is my "private praying ground." Much of my personal devotions, exegetical studies, and ministry work takes place there. But as I have grown up and grown older (I hope both are true), my personal schedule and responsibilities have put me in a position where I am not always able to be in my study when I would like to be. And with the largest staff I have ever had, there are times when I am not able to concentrate when I get to my study (Note: I try to make it a practice to call my office "my study," to remind me of the primary work I am supposed to be doing when I get there).

The bottom line is that I have had to learn how to sanctify wherever I am. Sometimes it's a crowded restaurant. Sometimes it's the uncomfortable setting of a hotel room (It's something not right about having to study at a desk that is less than five feet away from a bed!). Sometimes it's at my wife's kitchen table, where I struggle to read and type with my kids trying to sit on my lap or climb on my back at the same time. That's my life. I'm not always able to get to my praying ground. But I learned how to turn wherever I am into praying ground. And I encourage you to do the same. Your work may be different than mine. But I think the principle still applies. You should have a private time and place for prayer and worship. But you will inevitably find it difficult to stay focused if your times with God are limited to that time and place. I challenge you to make your office, garage, kitchen, classroom, or commute a time and place to meet with God. "Steal time" with God whenever and wherever you can. Hey, if David could pray in a cave... if Samson could pray in enemy territory... if Daniel could pray in a lion's den... if Paul and Silas could pray in a prison cell... if Jesus could pray while dying on a cross... you can sanctify wherever you are!