Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My Media Bias

Some years ago, I was at a cafeteria eating lunch with about thirty preachers during a simultaneous revival meeting. During the meal, someone brought up the national story of a denominational leader's moral failures. And as he lead the conversation, he kept trying to bring a prominent pastor who was at the table into the conversation. But this wise pastor kept giving non-answers every time someone addressed him. Finally, he just asked to be left out of the conversation, which led to a brief exchange of words. Supposing that this pastor was being arrogant, the conversation leader confronted him. And I remember his closing statement being, "If you don't have anything to say, fine!" "It's not that I don't have anything to say," the pastor calmly replied, "it's that I don't know who's listening." The silence that followed was defining. This experience sealed my respect for this pastor, who was one of the men God used to introduce me to and lead me to embrace expository preaching. Likewise, this experience began my personal media bias.

I used to be a news junkie. I could sit for hours flipping through the various cable news stations, watching the talk shows, special reports, and new alerts. But I don't watch the news that much anymore. I have become jaded. Now, I tend to watch shows that critique the news. That seems to help me get a little closer to the truth of what's really going on. And in watching these "watchdog" shows, I have become familiar with the term "medial bias." It's used to say that many journalists, reporters, and news companies have a precommitment to get out a certain message. And they'll slant the news to fit it into their point of view. I like the term and have made it a part of my personal lexicon. But when I use it, I have a different meaning. When I speak of my media bias, I am referring to my strong displeasure with liars, gossips, tale-bearers, name-droppers, and people who just don't know when to shut up. Do you get it? Talking to some people is like talking to the media. It's best to have no comment around them, for whatever you say may be repeated, misrepresented, or exploited for their purposes. So I have a mental list of these people that I call "the media." Whatever I say in their presence, I should say it as if reporters from Eyewitness News, News at 10, CNN, Fox, and MSMBC were also present. And some people are like tabloid papparazi that I just do my best to avoid at all costs.

I can't stand the media! But this is a problem for me, for several reasons. First, it alienates me from some people I deeply care about. It's hard to say anything meaningful around them, because of what they do with the information (or misinformation, depending on how you look at it). And you just can't get close to people without being able to talk to them about things that matter to you. The other reason why my distaste for the media is problematic is because I see a undercover reporter every time I look into the mirror. I admit, I am also guilty of speaking when I should be quiet. Yes, there are many times when I keep quiet, when I should speak up. But there are way more times when I speak out of turn, say the wrong thing, and fail to be a good steward of my speech. I have memorized Proverbs 10:19; but I am yet to master it: "In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise." I'll shut up for now by giving us all some wise advice: Turn in your media pass and quit the business!