Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Secret Sex Wars

In 2006, I had the opportunity to speak in the annual men’s conference hosted by the Los Angeles Bible Training School. I was asked to present a message that I had preached in my exposition of Colossians at Mt. Sinai Church, where I serve. The message was based upon Colossians 3:5-9. I entitled it, “Putting Sin to Death.” In this message, I try to challenge the church to be intentional, strategic, and militant in the battle for godliness and against sin - particularly sexual sin. It is a very important message that I really worked hard on. But when I finished preaching it, I filed all of the work away, not expecting that it would ever see the light of day again. But a local pastor, Robert Scott, visited our congregation that sunday while he was on vacation. He passed the audio of the message on, I guess. And I was invited to preach it during the LABTS men's conference, which focused on calling men to sexual purity.

Last year, Robert Scott, who pastors the Los Angeles Community Bible Church, initiated a project for the publication of some of the messages presented in recent LABTS men’s conference. Lift Every Voice, a subsidiary of Moody Publications, commissioned the writing of this book. And Pastor Scott graciously invited me to contribute my message on “Putting Sin to Death” to the book.

There are many books for men on sexual purity. Why another? Well, this book really is unique in that it primarily consists of expository messages on specific biblical texts. While there are many helpful and popular books available on godliness and sexual purity, few are written based on biblical and practical preaching of specific texts. Likewise, very few works like this are written by African-American pastors for the discipleship of African-American men. And the messages are presented by godly men, loving pastors, and faithful expositors, like by Paul Felix, Carl Hargrove, Anthony, Victor Sholar, John Kennedy, among others.

I encourage you to pick up a copy of this new book. It is written primarily for men, but all can profit from its sound and clear teaching. The book is entitled, Secret Sex Wars: A Battle Cry for Purity, edited by Robert Scott. It is scheduled to be released on May 1, 2008. Please pray for the men who have contributed to this important work – including me, especially me. And pray that this book will be used by God to equip and encourage many Christian men to fight the good fight for sexual purity. May our homes, churches, and communities will be impacted for Christ through this book.

Click here to learn more about the book and its authors.