Tuesday, March 18, 2008

(Late) Notes from Sunday...

- This is the second weekend in a row where I have suffered with a sore throat and an aching body. I think I may be fighting off a cold, with varying degrees of success. I pressed through on the previous Sunday. And I really did not want to do it again. But I did. And I was not at my best this Sunday.

- Our children sang in our morning worship service. It was great! Hats off to Phil Placenti, our children's division pastor, for preparing our children to sing.

- A group of the young ladies performed an "interpretative dance" in the service. And they did a good job. This is not something we usually do on Sunday mornings. I have several objections to what these so-called "praise-dancing," for several reasons that I won't detail now. But I guess I am slightly mellowing in my old age!

- There were many first and second time guests in the worship service Sunday, which is always a great thing.

- I preached from 2 Corinthians 5:16-21. I entitled the message, "The Difference Christ Makes." I sought to make three major points in this message: (1) We have a new perspective on life (vv. 16-17); (2) we have a new relationship to God (vv. 18-19); and (3) we have a new assignment for Christ (vv. 20-21).

- I challenged the church to memorize 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 this week. I also issued a 3-1-6 challenge: that they would pray for three unsaved/unchurched people once a day for the six days of this week. I also encouraged every member to bring one guests with them this coming Sunday.

- Sunday night, I went to hear my assistant pastor, George Hurtt, preach at Christ Second Baptist Church in Long Beach. My father served this church before he came to Mt. Sinai. George's message was stellar. As his pastor, I was so proud of him. As his colleague, I was flat out impressed - I have preached the same text and missed half of what George saw. And as his brother in Christ, I was challenged and encouraged to trust that God is in complete control of all circumstances and can use me in spite of seemingly limiting circumstances (Phil. 1:12-14).