Tuesday, June 09, 2009

True Deliverance

I am being greatly challenged by the study of Philippians. And it has been very convicting to preach the radical ideals of the Apostle Paul. Actually, Paul's thoughts here are not radical. They are Christian! However, many of us who follow Christ today (including and especially me) are so spoiled by the blessings of God that we do not really know what it means to live radically for the Lord Jesus Christ.

I praise God for all that I am learning in my studies. And I pray that congregation of SMBC is also being edified as we study "the Epistle of Joy."

Here is the sermon skeleton from Sunday's message:

Title: "True Deliverance"

Text: Philippians 1:19-21

Series: Philippians: Partnership in the Gospel

Theme: Rejoicing in Christ in the midst of life's uncertainties

Point: True deliverance is the ability to rejoice in spite of life's uncertainties, trusting that the Lord will cause your situation to work out for your good.

Outline:

I. The assurance of true deliverance (1:19)

    A. The prayers of the saints: "through your prayers" (v. 19a)

    B. The help of the Spirit: "the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ" (v. 19b) 

II. The ambition of true deliverance (1:20)

    A. May I never let Christ down: "as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed" (v. 20a)

    B. May I always lift Christ up: "but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death" (v. 20b)

        1. How? "with full courage"

        2. When? "now as always"

        3. Where? "in my body"

III. The advantage of true deliverance (1:21)

     A. Christ is all in life: "For to me to live is Christ" (v. 21a)

     B. Christ is all in death: "and to die is gain" (v. 21b)