Sunday, May 11, 2008

Notes from Sunday - Mother's Day 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!!

I spent most of the weekend setting up my study in our administration building. H.B. and Natalie helped me to put up books Saturday afternoon. Cool.

I talked to my mom early this morning. I called her to wish her a happy Mother's Day, and she ordered me to wish the mothers of MSMBC a happy Mother's Day on her behalf, since she could not be here today.

I continued my study of the Sermon on the Mount with the second Beatitude (5:4). I called it, simply, "Those Who Mourn."

I have only preached a Mother's Day sermon once in my seventeen years at MSMBC. I am usually knee-deep in some series. And I usually don't break the series for Mother's Day (and other such days). I am not sure if that's a good or bad thing; it's just what I have done over the years.

Between services, my administrative assistant told me that a woman was present in the first service who is a member of the church that be bought the facilities from. She didn't know they had moved. Oops.

Someone's phone kept going off during the early part of my second sermon. Arrgghhh!!!

I have been singing "Even Me, Lord" all week. I started singing it at the end of the first service. I don't think the musicians knew it. But I kept on singing. And I started preaching in the second service, I sung "I Need Thee." I don't usually sing before I preach. But my heart and mind were filled with hymns that I wanted to sing. I got a few out today.

Crystal's husband and three children took her out to dinner at one of her (our) favorite restaurants. It was a good dinner and a good time together. We also bumped into a several MSMBC members and local pastors.

Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz: tied 2-2. Yes!

Mother's Day pictures...