Monday, May 19, 2008

Notes from Sunday - May 18, 2008

Sorry that I have been missing-in-action over the past several days. I have been hanging out with Crystal. I have been holding my baby daughter. I have been unpacking my books. I have been adjusting to my new office. I have been wrestling through the Sermon on the Mount. I have been doing some pastoral care work. I have been in quite a few meetings. I have been... Well, you get the picture.

It was a sweltering, mid-May day here in Los Angeles. I felt like I was going to melt today.

I continued our study of the Beatitudes with a message on Matthew 5:5 - "God Blesses the Meek."

For some reason, I have been preaching about 30 minutes on Sunday mornings the past few weeks. I have no clue what that's about. I never (and I know you should never say never) preach 30 minutes at MSMBC. Never. Until I figure out what's going on, I'm officially blaming the heat.

There was a good number of first and second time guests in our services today. I love it.

My oldest sister, Harriette, visited our new church location for the first time today. She smiled throughout my message. It was very encouraging.

Paul Felix, president of the Los Angeles Bible Training School, and his wife joined us for worship at our 8 AM meeting. It is always a joy to have Prof. Felix in worship with us.

H.B. and Natalie ditched us this afternoon. And Hailey's "babysitter" stuck around this afternoon. So Crystal and I were able to have an unrushed lunch together. Just the two of us. Cool.

By the way, and I know that I cannot prove this, but I am absolutely convinced that Hailey is desperate to hear her daddy preach ASAP.

I like basketball. But I am not a fan of any specific team (No, I am not a Lakers fan.). So as a "free-agent fan," I am hereby predicting that the New Orleans Hornets (who still have to get by the Spurrs) and the Boston Celtics (who just got by the Cavaliers) will meet in the finals.

This should be a really interesting week for me. Pray for me.