Saturday, May 03, 2008

A New Series, A New Location

God willing, I will preach my first sermon at our new location in the morning. It has been a long, winding road for us to get to this point. But the Lord has been good and faithful to Mt. Sinai Church. And it is an exciting time in the life of our congregation.

We are doing a substantial amount of work to the main auditorium of our new home. So our first worship services will be in the fellowship hall. Our plan is to meet in the fellowship hall for the four Sundays of May. And we plan to be in the main auditorium on the first Sunday in June. At this point, everything is going according to schedule. But we continue to watch and pray.

By the way, our church staff is just about done moving into their new offices. Bookshelves are being installed into my office. I should be able to move in with my books some time next week. For now, most of my books - outside of those I need for sermon preparation over the next few weeks - are boxed up, waiting for their new home.

Sermon preparation has been quite difficult for me over the past weeks. My wife had our new baby a little over a month ago. And our offices have been in an uproar, as we have been moving to our new location. So I have not really had a settled place or time to study. However, the greatest difficulty I have been dealing with is the fact that I am not presently in a series - I have been picking different, random texts to preach from each week.

But all that ends in the morning. In the morning, I will begin a new series of messages on the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). The first section of this passage consists of a statements of blessings Jesus makes that are called the Beatitudes (Matt. 5:1-12). I am going to preach them one by one, beginning with "the poor in spirit" (Matt. 5:3).

May the Lord's blessings be with us as we begin preaching through this new study and begin our work at this new location.