Friday, May 30, 2008

Bracing for a Long, Good Weekend

Today begins a very long weekend for me. It should be busy. It should be memorable. It should be enjoyable.

I will spend most of the day finishing some writing I need to submit and preparing my Sunday sermon. I plan to continue my study of the Beatitudes - "those who hunger and thirst for righteousness" (Matt. 5:6).

This evening I will be preaching the closing night of the youth revival at Peace Chapel Baptist Church, where the DeAntwon Fitts is the pastor.

In the morning, Crystal and I will try to attend the funeral service for a young man who was a part of my pastor's congregation. His family, our pastor, and the Mt. Moriah Church family have been much in our thoughts and prayers this week.

Tomorrow afternoon, I will be marrying one of my associate pastors, John Scroggins, to Vanessa Potter, who grew up in our church. Both families are beloved members of our congregation. It should be a very special time.

For the record, after John's wedding tomorrow, George will be the only one of my associate pastors who is single. George is now officially on the clock.

Sunday morning, we will have our first worship services in our remodeled auditorium. It will begin with a time for prayer and a brief ceremony. Afterwards, we will have a open house and time of fellowship.

Sunday afternoon, I am scheduled to preach the pastoral anniversary celebration for my friend Nathaniel Hailey, who serves the 1st Antioch Baptist Church here in Los Angeles.

Hopefully, after all of this, I will have the energy to watch the season finale of one of my favorite shows.

Footnote: I hope the Lakers do not ruin my entire summer by actually winning the NBA championship this year.