Monday, January 16, 2012

Notes from Sunday - 1/15/12


Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Yesterday ended our 2012 Prayer Emphasis Week. It has been a powerful week of prayer.

The week climaxed with our first All-Night Prayer Meeting. It started Friday night at 10 PM and went through Saturday morning at 6 AM. What a time!

Thanks to all of our staff and volunteers. It was a long week. But you made it happen!

Saturday afternoon, I spoke at the Christian Educations Conference for the Progressive National Baptist Convention. I spoke on the Personal Develop of the Christian Educator. Thanks to Pastor Streeter for the invitation and opportunity.

We held a rally during out Bible Study Fellowship (Sunday school) hour. The new groups were introduced. And we prayed for the BSF workers. More than 450 new people have signed-up for a BSF group over the past two weeks. We are in store for a serious space problem. Praise God!

I am grateful for all of our guests who joined us in worship yesterday.

Praise God for the brother who was baptized yesterday.

The song of preparation was Yolanda Adam’s “Just a Prayer Away.” The young lady was only scheduled to sing it at 8 AM. But I asked Roger (our Minister of Music) to have her stay for our 10:15 service. I cannot get that song out of my system now.

I did a little bit of Albertina Walker’s “I Can Go to God in Prayer” with the choir during the 10 AM service. I love that old school Gospel music!

I preached a message from Matthew 6:5-8 that I simply labeled, “When You Pray.”

In this passage, Jesus gives two simple but profound instructions about how not to pray:

1.     Do not pray like the hypocrites (6:5-6).
2.     Do not pray like the Gentiles (6:7-8).

This is now what I planned to preach. But I trust it was helpful to the congregation.

Praise God for those who were saved and added to the church.

I plan to start preaching through the Epistle of 1 John this coming Sunday. I intend to begin with a message on 1 John 1:1-4. I am really looking forward to it.

The New York Giants defeated the NFL champion Green Bay Packers. Impressive.

The 49ers defeated the red-hot Saints Saturday. It will be a crime if Jim Harbaugh does not will the Coach of the Year this season.

The beat-you-up Ravens manhandled the upstart Texans. But I predict you will see the Texans in the mix again next season.

The Patriots whipped the Broncos like they stole something this weekend. No more Tebow-Mania until next season.

I had no problem with any of these teams going to the Super Bowl!