Monday, February 06, 2006

Sunday Morning Sickness

I am sick. I didn't have much energy Thursday afternoon. And Friday morning, I was in bad shape by the time I made it to the office; cough, congestion, the works. I rested as much as I could Friday evening. But I had to get up quite early to finish preparations to teach the "How to Study the Bible" seminar we held at MSMBC Saturday. Not feeling well, I taught for four hours on the principles and practice of personal Bible study. Truly, the Lord's strength is made perfect in our weakness. I tried to rest as much as I could Saturday evening. But I wasn't able to rest well. At about 12:30, I just gave up trying to sleep. And I ended up staying up all night with the two messages I had to present Sunday Morning.

In my Sunday School class, I taught on "Overcoming Envy." Even though I have only been back at the class a few weeks, I really does feel like we haven't missed a beat in our studies together. I am enjoying learning together with the small-group that I teach. On first Sundays, we share the Lord's Table at MSMBC. It is always a special time for me. Yesterday was no exception. But I really didn't feel up to preaching. I felt fine during Sunday School. But my class meets down the street from our main facility. And as soon as I got outside, I started feeling pretty bad. I am not sure why I didn't consider sitting the service out, but I didn't. Not once. When that thought came to my mind, I sent for my wife and asked her if it was okay for me to take some medicine before I went into service. I felt better, but any medicine I take makes me drowsy. So when I entered the service, my sinuses were feeling better, but I was getting more tired as the minutes past. It was really hard to concentrate. I began my series on the Ten Commandments with a message entitled, "No Competition," from Exodus 20:1-3. I was not at my best. And there were definitely some parts that I did not communicate as clearly as I would have liked. But overall, I think I was able to make most of the major points of the message.

You can hear the audio of the sermon on the SERMONS section of our church website. Likewise, George has uploaded my first three messages from Psalm 119 onto the site, as well.

Pray that I get some rest this week and feel better soon.

Oh, yeah. You don't have to ask me what I thought of the Superbowl. I didn't get to see any of it. My wife made an appointment for the family that I had agreed to. I thought it was going to be just a few minutes. It ended up taking all afternoon. But that's cool. My wife sacrifices a lot for me. I cannot begin to add it up. So this was a rather small thing to have to give up for her. Me and the kids did something to make her happy. And that made me happy. Just in case it took longer than we thought, my wife TiVo taped the game for me, and told me not to talk to anyone. But after our appointment, as we were sitting a dinner, the couple at the next table asked the score of the game. And the waiter shouted it out loud for everyone to hear! So at least I know what the score was.