Thursday, September 10, 2009

Power Under Control

I continued my new study of the Sermon on the Mount. I am presently through the Beatitudes of Jesus in Matthew 5:3-12. What a challenge it is to wrestle with the demands of Jesus. My soul is being stretched and my mind is being renewed. I pray the congregation of SMBC is being blessed by the study so far.

Here is the sermon skeleton from last night's message:

Title: "Strength Through Meekness"

Text: Matthew 5:5

Series: The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7)

Theme: The blessedness of meekness

Point: God blesses the person who lives with confidence that God is in control.

Outline:

I. What is meekness?

- Meekness is not weakness.

- Meekness is power under control.

- Meekness is self-control rooted in confidence that God is in control.

II. What is the blessing of meekness?

- Jesus calls the meek blessed because of their inheritance.

- Jesus promises that the meek will inherit the earth.

* This is a promise for tomorrow

* This is a promise for today