Monday, September 14, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 09/13/09

Thank God for another Lord's Day at Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church.

Saturday morning, I spoke at our monthly men's prayer breakfast for the first time. I taught on "What Every Man Needs to Know about Temptation" (1 Corinthians 10:12-13). I enjoyed the time with the brothers of SMBC. And I look forward to next month's breakfast.

In my new members class, I taught on "Why the Church?" I was not able to finish the lesson. As I discussed the three marks of a true church, I got caught up in the discussion of the faithful proclamation of sound doctrine. The new members their new pastor "rant" for the first time. But I pray they were challenged to be committed to truth and to be on guard against error - even as they listen to their new pastor!

Our children's choir led us in song during the 10 AM service. I praise God for the participation of our children in our corporate worship.

I preached on Philippians 3:4-9. I entitled the message, "Lay Your Religion Down!"

I was tempted to call the sermon: "The Testimony of an Ex-Religious Fanatic."

I did not get to quote a new verse that I memorized this week for this sermon. But I thought it summed up the problem with trying to approach God on the basis of religious merit succinctly: "There are those who are clean in their own eyes but are not washed from their filth." - Proverbs 30:12

Between Friday and Saturday, my sermon outline changed completely. It forced me to work longer and harder on Sunday's message. But I am glad I hung in there to write out my flow of thought more clearly.

I have a lot of growing to do. Please pray for my ongoing spiritual growth and ministerial development.

Next week's text: Philippians 3:10-11.

Praise God for those who were saved and added to the church.

Cowboys 31 - Buccaneers 21. Let the church say, "Super Bowl!"

The Jacksonville Jaguars are now 0-1.