Sunday, September 20, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 09/20/09

My Saturday morning bled into my Sunday morning. Not a good thing.

It was a rainy morning here in Jacksonville. But I glad that many saints of SMBC pressed their way to worship anyway.

The musical praise in worship today was very uplifting. I am grateful for all who serve the Lord in our music department and worship team.

As I taught my new members class this morning, my mind and heart were on the importance of speaking the truth in love among brothers and sisters in Christ in the body-life of the local church.

Praise God for the one who was baptized today.

I preached from Philippians 3:10-11. A called the message, “A Consuming Passion to Know Christ.”

This is the second week in a row my entire sermon outline has changed between Friday and Saturday. I don’t know what the deal with that is. But I am glad that I pressed on again to find a way to say it that I was most comfortable with. For the records, sermons are always unfinished products.

I lost my voice ten minutes into my 8 AM sermon. That has not happened in months. I did what I always do in such situations. I kept preaching.

Praise the Lord for those who were added to our membership today.

This Sunday, a year ago, was my last Sunday as pastor of Mt. Sinai Church in Los Angeles. I grew up in Mt. Sinai. And I have the privilege of serving as their pastor for almost eighteen years. “I thank my God in all my remembrance of you.” (Phil. 1:3, ESV)

Happy 67th birthday Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church!

Go cowboys!!!