Monday, March 09, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 03/08/09

It was around midnight before I went to bed on Saturday night. I thought I would get about three hours sleep. But thanks to Daylight Savings Time, my plans went awry. Thank God for his strength!

In new members class, I began a lesson on how to study the Bible for yourself. I love teaching on personal Bible study. I think it is vital for the development of every Christian. I didn't even get through the introduction of what I wanted to say. It will take me another two weeks to finish this lesson. I really enjoy teaching the new members class.

Our children's choir sang in our 10 AM service. As always, it was a wonderful blessing to have our children participating in our corporate worship.

I continued my series on the parable of the sower: "The Heart's Response to God's Word" (Matt. 13:1-9, 18-23).

I focused on Matthew 13:4 and 9, preaching a message I labeled, "Good Seed Along The Path." I endeavored to explain three factors that harden the heart against the word of God:

    1. Unrepentant Sin

    2. Worldly Influences

    3. Spiritual Warfare

Until about 3:30 AM Sunday morning, my sermon had four points. I became uncomfortable with my final point some time Saturday. and I wrestled with it all day log. I finally decided to abandon the final point, and incorporate the heart of what I wanted to say into an earlier point. I know this sounds like an explanation on how to make sausage. But it is a regular part of the mystery and mechanics of preaching for most pastors. The joy of this is, as we struggle to be clear and faithful, God has a way of honoring our labor in the study and getting overseeing the entire process for his glory.

For some reason, the chorus, "Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart," has been in my system the past few weeks.

Praise God for those who were saved and added to the church yesterday.

I was this close to calling security to kick Hailey out of church during the the first fifteen minutes of my sermon in the 8 AM service. Thirty minutes in, "Hailey the Hurricane" TKO'd Crystal. Crystal had to finally take her out. Then Hailey slept through my sermon at 10 AM.

After the services, my family and I joined Deacon Henry Williams and District #30 for lunch at a local restaurant. The food was good. The fellowship was even better.

The weather was absolutely beautiful here yesterday. After a brief post-church nap, I took a swim with the kids. The last time we did that was when we were visiting Jacksonville together in July, 2008.

This Wednesday's sermon: "Praying Your Way Through Mistreatment" (Psalm 119:121-128)