Monday, March 16, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 03/15/09

Sunday was a long, good day.

I continued my lesson on personal Bible study tips in my new members class. I went over time in the 8 AM service. And it caused me to have a very limited amount of time in my class session. But as always, I really enjoyed teaching the new members.

Our new young adult ensemble helped lead the singing in the 10 AM service for the first time. They did a great joy. And I am expecting great things from this group.

I continued my series on the parable of the sower - "The Heart's Response to God's Word" (Matt. 13:1-9, 18-23). I preached on "Good Seed on Rocky Ground" (Matt. 13:5-6, 20-21).

In the message, I attempted to show how the picture of good seed on rocky places warns us of the futility of superficial faith:

    1. Rocky ground appears to be fertile.

    2. Rocky ground has no roots.

    3. Rocky ground will face the heat.

    4. Rocky ground cannot sustain life.

Praise God for those who were saved and added to our church family this past Sunday.

I am sensing a growing excitement about our upcoming "Make A Difference Day" on March 28. I pray the Lord will richly bless us and greatly use us as we blitz the city of Jacksonville with practical acts of service to demonstrate the love of Christ.

Sunday afternoon, we worshiped with the St. John Baptist Church of Middleburg.  It was the 128th church anniversary and the 19th pastoral anniversary for Pastor C.E. Preston. I trust our presence and ministry was an encouragement to this pastor and congregation.

I preached from the 1 Chronicles 4:9-10 Sunday afternoon - "The Life God Blesses."

Thank you, Shiloh for your prayers, attendance, and support.

Wednesday's Sermon: "Embracing the Wonderful of God's Word" (Psalm 119:128-138)