Sunday, March 01, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 3/1/09

Today is both the first day and the first Sunday of March, 2009. Can you believe it? Time really does seem to fly by?

When Trey and I drove in to church this morning, it felt like the weather was going to be nice. By the time the 8 AM service was over, it was raining pretty good. Then when the 10 AM service was over, the rain had stopped. But it was winds were blowing really hard. Don't you just love this Florida weather?

I love teaching the New Members Class.

We were blessed to baptize about ten new believers this morning. Praise the Lord!

Dr. James Abbington of Emory University, was our special guest this morning. His accompaniment on the organ was a great compliment to our music department. The worship music was very uplifting.

I began a new series of sermons from the Parable of the Sower (Matt. 13:1-9, 18-23). I am calling the series, "The Heart's Response to God's Word."

My opening message in the series was an overview of the parable, which I called, "The Sower, The Seed, and the Soil."

I sought to explain how the kingdom of God grows by explaining how a harvest grows in a field:

    1. The sower does his work.

    2. The seed does its work.

    3. The soil does its work.

The tyranny of the clock...

For some reason, today was one of those days when I wished I was a manuscript preacher.

Thank God for those who were saved and added to our church fellowship today.

As always, the celebration of the Lord's Table was a wonderful reminder of the price the Lord Jesus paid for our salvation and the bond we share together in Christ.

My favorite NBA team won today - whoever is playing the Lakers!!!