Thursday, December 04, 2008

Praying with Confidence in God (Psalm 119:73-80)

Last night we resumed our midweek worship service after the Thanksgiving holiday. And I continued our study of Psalm 119. Last night's text was the tenth stanza of the psalm (there are 22 in all).

Last night was the best I have felt physically in the pulpit in two weeks or more. I think I have finally beat this cold. Praise God! I just hope now that I did not give it to the kids.

Here is the sermon skeleton from last night's message:

Title: "Praying with Confidence in God's Word"

Text: Psalm 119:73-80

Theme: Praying with confidence in God's word

Point: You can pray with confidence that God will always keep his word.

Outline:

I. You can trust the hand of God (119:73-75)

    A. God is sovereign (v. 73)

    B. God is able (v. 74)

    C. God is good (v. 75)

       1. God's word it truth (v. 75a)
      
       2. God's ways are faithful (v. 75b)

II. You can trust the heart of God (119:76-77)

    A. Look to God for comfort (v. 76)

    B. Look to God for compassion (v. 77)

III. You can trust the help of God (119:78-80)

    A. Pray for the ungodly (v. 78)

    B. Pray for the godly (v. 79)

    C. Pray for yourself (v. 80)

Next week will be our last midweek worship service for 2008 that I will preach (12/10). On 12/17, there will be a musical during our regular midweek worship hour. And, of course, the two following weeks will be Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

In the providence of God, I will be at the eleventh stanza of Psalm 119 - the midway point. And I intend to preach a message entitled, "Making it through the Middle Miles (Psalm 119:81-88).

Pray for us.