Monday, December 08, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 12/07/08

We had a great day of worship and fellowship at Shiloh yesterday.

Yesterday, I preached the fourth message in my series on Luke 15 - "Lost People Matter to God."

The parable of the prodigal son is three-dimensional. A week ago I preached the story from the perspective of the Father. And yesterday I preached the text from the perspective of the rebellious son: "Lessons from the Prodigal Son." The father in the story is an affirmation of the love of God. But the son in the story is an admonition about the life of sin.

God willing, this coming Sunday I will finish our study of Luke 15 with the message: "Lesson from the Elder Brother" (Luke 15:25-32).

Praise God for the persons who were baptized in our 10 AM service!

And praise God for those who were added to our church family in our two morning services!

Likewise, praise God for the wonderful celebration of the Lord's Table.

Between services, I led our Bible study fellowship hour in a mass study. I think it is customary for the BSF teachers to get the month of December off. and it gives me another opportunity to teach. I planned to do the first of a four part series on prayer: "A Call to Prayer." But I didn't even make it through the first half of the first lesson. So I have three weeks left to cover as much ground as I can.

After church, the family and I joined Districts 6, 21 and 35 for their Christmas fellowship. We really had a good and and were glad that we were able to crash the party.

The Cowboys lost to the Steelers. I do not know what to say.

The Jaguars lost (again) 10-23 to the Bears to go 4-9 for the season. But who's counting?

Well, I guess the Trojans will just have to settle for winning another Rose Bowl.