Monday, December 22, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 12/21/08

Yesterday was a good day in worship at the Shiloh Church. It was a long day. But special nonetheless. I praise God for his strengthening grace and unfailing love.

Having finished a five-part series on Luke 15 last week, I spent another Sunday in Luke yesterday. I preached the Parable of the Unjust Steward, recorded in Luke 16:1-13. I entitled the message, "Financial Advice from a Dishonest Manager."

I enjoy preaching and teaching on financial stewardship. As a pastor, I believe I have a responsibility to lay before my people the way of Christ as it relates to their finances, just as much as any other subject. But, admittedly, I was a little nervous about yesterday's message. It was the first time I preached on financial stewardship here at Shiloh. I was concerned about how it would be received. But once again the congregation showed me that if it is in the Bible they will receive it. Praise God!

I taught the mass adult Bible Study Fellowship hour again. I continued to teach on prayer: "Pray for One Another." I rushed through the lesson. Really. But I hope that the time we spent on the subject was helpful to those who were in attendance.

Praise God for those whom the Lord added to our church family this week!

Sunday afternoon, we hosted a presentation of Handel's Messiah, which was performed by musicians and singers from some twenty different churches in the Jacksonville. Our own Minister of Music, Dr. Roger Sears, worked hard - along with the coordinators - to make sure this concert was a special. And it was that and then some. This was one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed. I was so glad that me and my family were able to witness such a special program.

Between services, we went to dinner with friends... in a Florida swamp somewhere!!! The food was good. But there were people fishing outside the windows. In the swamp!!!

I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet. But I just knew that the Cowboys were going to lose Saturday night. So I could not bear to watch. My "prophetic" word came true. But we are not out of it yet!

All I want for Christmas is... for the Celtics to whip the Lakers!