Sunday, September 14, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 09/14/08

Thank you to all of you who have been praying for me and my family, especially over the course of this weekend. But I am still needy and greedy for your prayers. Please don't stop praying for us now.

I did not sleep well last night. But I did not feel tired at any point today. God will give you strength!

Again, there were quite a few guests in worship with us today - including first- and second-time guests. This is very encouraging.

The choir was off the hook today. I was really blessed by the song service. I had to keep my composure so that I would be able to preach.

I preached the closing doxology in the Epistle of Jude (verses 24-25). I labeled the sermon, "The God who is On Guard." I sought to make two big points today about the God who is guard: (1) God is able (v. 24); (2) God is worthy (v. 25).

For the second week in a row, this was not what I intended to preach. Again, I intended to preach from Matthew - the message that I did not preach last week. I must conclude that it is not meant to be for me to preach that Matthew sermon. God knows what he is doing.

All of my books and files are on their way to Jacksonville. And when I had to look some things up this morning, I had to use the Bible software I have on my computer. It was frustrating. Apparently, I am not the geek that I thought I was. I want my books!

Today will begin a week-long 24-hour prayer vigil at MSMBC. Members have signed up for at least 15 minute intervals to be praying for the church every day this week. May the Lord help you to be diligent to your assigned prayer times.

I am very proud of Mt. Sinai (3 John 4). The prayerfulness, maturity, unity, and kindness with which the congregation is responding to this time of transition is remarkable. Admittedly, these days have not been easy for any of us. But the Lord has been dynamically-present and actively in-charge. And so far, MSMBC has proven to be and do all that I know is in them. I pray and trust that they will continue to do a great work for God in the next season of their ministry life.

Crystal, Hailey and I had lunch with my pastor and his family this afternoon. We went out for burgers! Cool.

H.B. and Natalie ditched us to go to a birthday party. Typical.

The Jacksonville Jaguars lost 20-16 to the Buffalo Bills to go 0-2 for the season, which is the first time the "cats" have been off to such a slow start since 1993. But who's counting?

Will anyone dare pick the Eagles over the Cowboys in tomorrow's Monday Night Football game?