Friday, September 19, 2008

My Final Weekend @ Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church

This is a pretty big weekend for me. It is to be my last Sunday services with my beloved congregation at Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church.

Several events will mark this celebration. A luncheon is scheduled for this afternoon, which will give us an opportunity to fellowship with one another outside of the formal setting of a worship service. Dr. R.A. Williams, pastor of the McCoy Memorial Baptist Church of Los Angeles, was scheduled to speak. But he is not feeling and will not be able to attend. Please remember him in your prayers. Tuesday, we asked Dr. A.D. Iverson of the Paradise Baptist Church to speak. He gracious consented. I am grateful and honored that he accepted our invitation. Pastor Iverson was one of the (four) speakers during my installation services almost eighteen years ago. I still carry his message, "Don't Knock the Rock," from Numbers 20, with me to this day.

Sunday, we will celebrate sixty-six years of God's faithfulness to and through MSMBC. Mt. Sinai has had three pastors. And the Lord has blessed MSMBC to be an "epicenter" church, that has a vast, great influence for the kingdom of God. Sunday morning, we will join in praise to God for all that he has done in us, through us, and for us - through Jesus Christ. And we will pray God's continued blessings on the church.

Of course, Sunday's services will be bittersweet, in that it will be my last Sunday with the church before I move to my new assignment in Jacksonville. I pray the Lord will help me to preach his word with faithfulness and clarity.

Sunday afternoon will be our final service. Several guests and colleagues will be with us. And my pastor, Dr. Melvin Wade, and the Mt. Moriah Baptist Church family, will be with us. Pastor is scheduled to bring the message.

If and when we cross your mind this weekend, please whisper a prayer for God's blessings on our behalf.

God bless.