Friday, September 12, 2008

Coming Home to a Cold Reality

As I was making my way to my connecting flight home this morning, my phone rang. It was Crystal. She was overwhelmed as she watched the movers pack and load up our possessions to transport them to Jacksonville. I didn't know what to say. So I prayed. And I recommended that Crystal go out for a couple of hours, so that she wouldn't have to watch them moving our things out.

I arrived home several hours ago, with a message to pick up a car rental. Another does of reality. Our cars are gone and on their way to Jacksonville.

When I arrived home, I walked into an empty house. My mind went back to the day we first saw this house, and the rather large family that occupied it. I also remembered moving into this house as first-time homeowners. It was a good, special time for us.

Seeing it empty again was strange. Same house. But in many ways its so different. It has the feel of the place that has been home to us for more than four years. Yet it feels so empty. It is empty. Literally. Another dose of reality.

There are many memories here.

The competing emotions that I am having right now have left me numb.

Please continue to remember me and my family in your prayers during these days of transition.