Monday, July 28, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 07/27/08

Wow! What a great day. God richly blessed and marvelously helped me all day long.

Weirdly, from about 4 to 7:30 AM, I was trying to get out of preaching our morning services. I must have called Crystal seven times after I got to the office to see if she would cosign my taking the day off. She did not, but kept insisting that I needed to preach. She was right.

Note to self (and anyone else reading): Too many times we worry about things that never happen. Try Phil. 4:6-7.

I continued our study of the Sermon on the Mount with a message on Matthew 5:14-16. I entitled the message, "Turning on the Lights."

The message was basically the same in both services. But the response was much warmer at the 10 AM meeting. We actually shouted over being "the Light of the world."

I think I have made it through whatever voice problems I was having. Praise God.

Sunday afternoon, I teased Austin about the fact that he has been gone for the past two Sunday mornings and the mikes and monitors have sounded perfect. I know that he and Reggie and Scharmaine have been working hard to get the bugs worked out for me at preaching time. Hats off to each of them.

Our children participated in the worship services with presentations and music from Vacation Bible School. It made the worship service very special. Hats off to our children's pastor, Phil Placenti, for his diligent leadership of our 2008 VBS.

My friend, Pastor Terry Brown and his wife, who serve the Liberty Baptist Church here in Los Angeles visited with us in worship during their vacation. It was good to have them present.

I received a message Sunday morning that Pastor Percy Hill, the beloved pastor of the Cochran Avenue Baptist Church here in Los Angeles passed away this weekend. He will be truly missed by the Los Angeles church community. Please remember his wife, family, and congregation in your prayers.

Sunday afternoon, I preached for Pastor Michael Ealey and the Prevailing in Christ Church. They were celebrating one year as a church family. It was a special occasion. And I am very happy for Pastor Ealey and his young church. God helped me to preach, even though I was a little tired. So was the congregation, it seems. But the Lord helped me to preach. May the message continue to be a blessing to Pastor Ealey and his infant congregation.

The mayor of Carson was present to give official greetings to Pastor Ealey.  And he actually stayed to hear the sermon. He gets cool points from me for that.

My day ended with sad news. Dr. C.A.W. Clark, the legendary pastor of the Good Street Baptist Church in Dallas, died this weekend. From my understanding, he had been sick for some time. So I rejoice to know that he is perfectly healed in the presence of Jesus. But I am saddened by the passing of one of the great preaching voices in the African-American church.

When I was a young teenager, I had a blown-up picture of Dr. Clark on my bedroom door - not Michael Jordan or Run D.M.C. Dr. C.A.W. Clark! And I would try to sound like Dr. Clark. He will be missed. But his impact on my life and the lives of many others will continue. Please remember his wife, family, and the Good Street Church in your prayers.

"And all the people said, 'Amen.'" - Dr. C.A.W. Clark's opening greeting before every sermon.

Thank you for your prayers. Please don't stop now!!!