Monday, June 09, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 06/08/08

It was good to be home after several days away.

I was rather tired Sunday, probably still adjusting time zones again. But the Lord gave me strength to preach.

We have our first baptisms in our remodeled auditorium during our second service. Hallelujah!

I continued our series on the beatitudes with a message on Matthew 5:7, which I called, "A Conspiracy of Kindness."

I feel like I am finally getting into a rhythm with this new series of messages. And I can't wait to get to the pulpit next Sunday to preach on Matthew 5:8 - the pure in heart.

There was quite a bit of walking during the second service. And several times in the message, I totally lost my train of thought. Arrgghh!

Over the past weeks, I think I have been preaching shorter than normal. But the messages yesterday lengthened out to get out most of what I wanted to say. I am getting more relaxed in preaching again. Praise the Lord!

The choir was hot in both services. But in the second service, I was moved to sing a little. I led the congregation in a piece of two hymns before the message: "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and "Even Me, Lord." You just can't beat those old hymns.

H.B. and Natalie ditched us Sunday afternoon. So Crystal, Hailey, and I went out to have a quiet meal after the services. However, we picked a place filled with church folk we know from around town. So much for the quiet meal.

I had a long, refreshing Sunday afternoon nap. Do you believe in spiritual warfare through long naps? You should.

When I woke up, I discovered that the Lakers were losing. No, they were getting beat down. Sure, they had a good fourth quarter. But that only means that they worked harder to lose. Will a game 5 even be necessary? Let the church say, "Sweep!"