Monday, October 22, 2007

Churchin' in Omaha

Last week, as I preached for Pastor Reginald Terry and the Antioch Baptist Church, I was also able to attend several other services. Our services started at 6 pm and was over before 7:30. So the last two nights, we were able to attend several special events that were taking place across town.

On Thursday, I was able to attend the closing night of Omaha's Citywide Revival. Dr. Frederick D. Sampson, from Houston, was the speaker. And it was fantastic. Dr. Sampson is a preaching legend. And it was great to get to here him for the first time.

On Friday, we attended the 2nd anniversary service for Dr. Selwyn Bachus at the Salem Baptist Church. Pastor K. Edwin Bryant from Dayton was the guest speaker. I met Pastor Bryant this past summer. And I was really looking forward to hearing him And...

Interestingly, both of these pastors preached from Genesis 22, the story of Abraham going to sacrifice Isaac. They had two different approaches to the text, which reminded me that preaching really is communication of divine truth through (different) human personalities.