Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Winning Spiritual Battles

This past Sunday, I preached on Exodus 17:8-16. I had been studying this passage and meditating on it for several weeks. Several things attracted me to this passage. First, the theme of spiritual warfare attracted me. This battle that the Israelites fought against the Amalekites illustrates the spiritual battles we as Christ-followers face against the flesh, the world, and the devil. I feel like some of the things the members of MSMBC are going through in their personal lives is the direct result of spiritual battles that need to be fought and won. Likewise, some of the things we are going through as a church are spiritual battles. I wanted the church to understand this. Second, this passage calls for dependence upon and confidence in God. I believe my congregation needed to hear that. I know I do, too. There are things that we are praying for that require great faith if they are to come to pass. And I wanted to challenge the church again to trust that there is nothing too hard for God. Finally, this passage introduces us to Joshua, Moses' assistant and successor. It is my intention to begin preaching the book of Joshua this coming Sunday (Please, please pray for me!!!). And there was something I wanted to say about him out of this passage. I believe that this battle at Rephidim prepared Joshua for leadership in Canaan. And it thus warns us not to be negligent with our present responsibilities. Our present responsibilities are spiritual preparation for future opportunities. Here is the sermon skeleton from Sunday's message:

Title: "Winning Spiritual Battles"

Text: Exodus 17:8-16

Theme: Divine help in spiritual warfare

Point: The Lord is able to give you the victory in every spiritual battle you face.

Outline:

I. Depend on the power of God (17:9-12).

A. The importance of prayer is seen in the effect it had on the battle battle (v. 11).

B. The importance of prayer is seen in the effect it had on Moses (v. 12).

II. Fight with confidence in God (17:10, 13).

III. Remember the faithfulness of God (17:14).

A. Remember God's faithful power in your past.

B. Remember God's faithful promises for your future.

IV. Give all the glory to God (17:15-16).