Monday, May 07, 2007

The Ultimate Prayer Partner

This past Thursday, we observed the National Day of Prayer at MSMBC with a special prayer meeting. This is the third or fourth year we have had this service. We worship together. And we spend time in prayer specifically for the government, media, education, church, and family. Then I bring a message. I almost didn't preach this year, though. I was debating whether or not we should just keep on praying. We don't have too many meetings like this where we just pray. So I thought that maybe I should just save my sermon for another time. But I finally determined that it would be best for me to go on and preach the message that I prepared. And I am really glad I did. God used the message to comfort and encourage many people who were present. Here is the skeleton from that service.

Title: "The Ultimate Prayer Partner"

Text: Romans 8:26-27

Theme: The Intercessory Ministry of the Holy Spirit

Point: You can pray with confidence because the Holy Spirit is praying with you and for you.

Outline:

I. The Holy Spirit intercedes to help you in your weakness (8:26).

A. The Spirit helps us (v. 26a).

B. The Spirit intercedes for us (v. 26b).

II. The Spirit interceds in harmony with the will of God (8:27).

A. God the Father knows the intentions of the Spirit (v. 27a).

B. God the Father agrees with the intercession of the Spirit (v. 27b).