Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Remarkable Story with a Tragic Ending

As I was getting dressed this morning, I turned to CNN to catch the headlines. As I did, they were running a story on Terrell Pough. I immediately recognized the pictures of him, even though the name didn't ring a bell. I was introduced to Terrell's story several months ago, while reading People Magazine on a flight somewhere. They were commending him as an exemplary single-dad, who was taking care of his 2-year-old daughter, Diamond. All too often, we hear about young black men acting in irresponsible ways. So I was really excited and encouraged to find the story of this 18-year-old who had taken responsibility for his little girl, while finishing high school and working the night shift at a chicken joint in Philadelphia. Terrell's meager earnings really weren't enough to care for he and Diamond's basic necessities. But he refused to complain, make excuses, or start hustling. People Magazine was right. This was one of the good guys whose story deserved to be spotlighted. And as a result of their story, someone stepped up and bought Terrell a car, a Honda Civic. He received several job offers. And some people even volunteered to pay his rent every month. What a remarkable story!

Apparently, two young men, who had gone to high school with Terrell, also thought it was a remarkable story. And they were determined to take advantage of it. Two weeks ago, on his way into the house after getting off work, Terrell was confronted on his porch and shot in the head. He died not too long after the shooting. The CNN report I saw this morning was about the fact that the police had arrested two young men, one 18 and the other 20, who they believe committed this heinous crime. The authorities may have strong evidence against these two suspects. It seems that they not only shot Terrell, but they also stole his car. What a tragic ending to a remarkable story. I feel like I should make some comment at this point to try to put this senseless tragedy into some kind of perspective. But I really don't know what to say. It's such a sad story. I pray that Terrell's story inspires many other young black youth to "man-up," and take their life responsibilities seriously. I trust that Terrell's wish for Diamond will be honored by whoever ends us raising her; that she will never have to wonder if her father loved her. And I hope that the criminals who committed this horrible act will be brought to justice and repentence. And I cry for the day when our heavenly Father's kingdom will come, when his will shall be done on earth as it is in heaven.