Friday, December 09, 2005

I have a Confession to Make

I have a confession to make. I have been trying to avoid this for a few weeks now. But I haven't been able to hide from the truth. In fact, it seems everywhere I go, I see signs reminding me of my wrong. Literally. But I can't run from the truth anymore. I have to come clean today. Oh well, let me stop beating around the bush. Here it is. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe hits theaters today. And I intend to see it some time over the next two weeks, while I'm on vacation. But I have never read any of the seven C.S. Lewis novels in the series. That's my confession. And boy am I glad to get that off of my chest. It's as if a heavy burden has been lifted. In fact, it feels so good, I think I'll say it again. I have never read any of the C.S. Lewis Narnia novels.

Now, I am not proud of this fact. I am quite ashamed of this great wrong. In fact, I have been fearful about talking about this subject, thinking that if I confessed to the average person I know, they'd respond, "What's wrong with you? Didn't you go to elementary school? What, you couldn't read until you in junior high?" Let me be clear. Yes, there is something wrong with me. Yes, I did go to elementary school. And, yes, I did know how to read in junior high. But, no, I did not read any of C.S. Lewis' novels. Now, if it helps, I have read many other of Lewis' works. I've read the perennial best-seller, The Screwtape Letters (by the way, if you haven't read Screwtape, shame on you!). I've read Mere Christianity. I've read A Grief Observed, and many other writings of C.S. Lewis. I have read some biographical works on his life. And I have even seen Shadowlands, thank you very much (Anthony Hopkins was great!). But I know this does not atone for the fact that I have not read any of the Narnia books. And to prove that my repentance is sincere, I'm not going to lie and tell you that I am going to read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe before I go see the movie. Nope. I am going to go see the movie as soon as possible. And I may (emphasis on "may") get inspired to read the book. But it won't be any time soon (hopefully before the sequel comes out, and I'm down another book). But as much as I complain about how awful the media, music, and movies are. Here is a movie worth seeing. It's by a great evangelical author. It's a great story (or so I'm told). And the movie is a good treatment of the book (or so the critics say). Anyway, if you're looking for a movie to see this holiday, this would be a good one to put on your list. If I'm wrong, don't tell anyone. They may cancel my contract to host the new "Ebert, Roeper & H.B.: At the Movies" next season.