Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Are You On Your Honeymoon?

Yesterday, three different people asked me and Crystal whether we were on our honeymoon. Our answer was no. We then told them that we have been married for seven years. And each time our questioners responded with utter shock. They were amazed that we looked so young. There’s no way we could be married for seven years. We must have been kids when we got married. Now, these are great compliments, except for the fact that none of them were for me! In each instance, the comments were about my wife, Crystal, not me. These people couldn’t believe that Crystal could be married seven years, much less be the mother of two. And when she told them how old she is, they were even more shocked. All the while, I was standing there, trying to look as young as I could on the spur of the moment. Unfortunately, I look like I have been pastoring for fifteen years, and then some. So I don’t get the “you-look-so-young” look. I get the “what-is-that-old-man-doing-with-that-young-girl” look. Actually, I’m not offended. I read somewhere that young-looking wives are evidence of good husbands. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!