Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Return of a Backslidden Blogger

Several friends have chastened me about the fact that I have not made any new posts on my blog since 11/4. I have heard your message loud and clear (to the degree I was actually paying attention). I am contrite (sort of). And it won't happen again (until the next time it happens). All jokes aside, thanks for reading my rambling thoughts. It's encouraging to know that people are reading my thoughts... and a little scary. I intended to blog everyday this week. But I failed to get to it every time. But the backslidden blogger has now returned.

I slept most of this day away. I was just plain old tired. The first half of this week has been rather hectic. And I haven't taken a full day off in some time. So, since I don't have to preach Sunday, I stole some time today to catch up on some much needed sleep. I really didn't do too much of anything constructive today, except for editing my sermon from last night a little bit. There are a bunch of unfinished projects left on my desk. And I also brought a some work home last night. But I haven't even really thought about it today, much less worked on it. I think I'll be better prepared tomorrow to catch up on the work I need to get done. Maybe

Last night, I preached a sermon in our Midweek Service with a provocative title: "The Danger of Knowing Jesus Too Well." I'm not really into fancy titles. But I really thought it reflected the message of the text. The text was Mark 6:1-6, in which Jesus returns to his hometown of Nazareth, but was unable to do mighty works there because of their unbelief. I argued that a false since of intimacy can detrimentally hinder your faith-relationship to Jesus. Simply, the pride of the Nazarenes would not allow them to put their faith in Jesus because they thought they knew him so well. But they really didn't know him, evidenced by their lack of faith. The bottom-line is that you don't really know Jesus unless you trust him. I won't re-preach the whole sermon here, but I was and am very excited about this message. The congregation seemed very attentive last night. I hope they were blessed by the message. And I do look forward to the next opportunity the Lord will give me to preach that sermon again.