Monday, November 14, 2005

And Today!

I went to sleep last night and woke up this morning with two words from Hebrews 13:8 on my mind and heart: "and today." In its entirety, the verse says, "Jesus Christ is the same and today and forever." (ESV) I love that verse and believe it with all my heart. However, there are days when I struggle with those two little words, "and today." I have absolutely no problem fully embracing all that scripture teaches that the Lord Jesus accomplished yesterday. And with great expectation and anticipation, I look forward to the future and complete fulfillment of all the promises of God through Jesus Christ. But sometimes, as I live in between what Jesus has done and what Jesus will do, I forget that that he is the same today. He is at work today. He is worthy of my praise, trust, and obedience today, no matter what. So, as I enter another busy work week, I am so grateful that the Lord caused me to pillow my head last night on the assurance of Hebrews 13:8: "and today." And even though you may have not have slept with that verse last night, may you live with it today. As you go about your day - at work, at school, or at home - gratefully, prayerfully, and confidently trust the Lord Jesus to be dynamically-present, actively in-charge, and unchangingly faithful... today!