Thursday, September 15, 2005

What a difference a day makes!

Wednesday morning, Crystal and I were running some morning errands together, before I was to go into the hospital. But I day suddenly took an unexpected turn. My chest began to hurt again. It had started early Sunday morning. But I took some aspirin and felt better. Monday and Tuesday, I felt period tightness in my chest, but nothing to be alarmed about. But yesterday morning, it hit me hard again. We called my doctor and was advised to go straight to the ER. They ran tests on me and determined it was nothing life threatening, so they sent me home. I have still been having the irregular chest pains, but It has not been as bad as it was yesterday morning. I have been resting since I came home from the hospital yesterday. I am scheduled to see my doctor tomorrow.

Last night was the beginning of our church revival. But I was not able to attend. My wife would not have let me out of the house, and my staff would not have allowed me into the church. So I prayed for the meeting and went to bed early. It was kind of depressing to not be with there. I am sure that the leadership and membership can continue without me. In fact, they did. I heard the meeting last night was a real blessing. But I really wish I could have been there. I won't be there tonight, either. But I plan to be there tomorrow night, if my doctor's appointment goes well. But I am praying that the meeting will glorify God and build up the congregation. And I am sure that the church is praying for me.

There is a important reminder from all of this I want to mention. God is sovereign. We are finite. Every day of life is a gift. Health is a blessing that should not be taken for granted. And time is precious. James 4:13-14 says: Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit" - you you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. (ESV) It's true. You don't know what tomorrow will bring. So here's my new resolution: Do it now! I want to share David's testimony: "For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep..." (Acts 13:36) May that be my epithet. I want to serve God's purpose in my generation before I fall asleep. Pray for me, that I will have much more time to do that, and that I would use whatever time I have wisely.

Correction from Tuesday's post: Natalie is in pre-K, not kindergarten. Actually, I am glad about this mistake. It means she's not growing up as fast as I assumed. Daddy gets to be the hero a little longer!