Monday, September 05, 2005

There's No Place Like Home!!!

Crystal and I finally made it home late Saturday night. We had a great week in Newark. Joe Carter is a dear friend. New Hope is a great church. And it’s always enriching to fellowship and worship with them. Friday, we left Newark and went to Detroit to attend the funeral services for Dr. J. Allen Caldwell, the beloved pastor of the Burnette Baptist Church. Friday evening was the memorial service. And Saturday was the funeral. Both services were packed. Burnette looked like it did when I first starting preaching their as a 17-year-old boy. Dr. Caldwell was a great man, a dynamic preacher, and a visionary leader. And he will be greatly missed. I hope that Burnette will guard, honor, and build on the great legacy of Christian service Dr. Caldwell left them. And may God be with his son, Pastor Nathaniel Caldwell, as he leads the church forward to fulfill the Great Commission in Detroit and all the nations.

I was so happy to be with my own congregation yesterday, I didn't know what to do. It was a great day. Attendance was strong, even though it was a holiday weekend. There were many guests in attendance, which is always a good thing. The new semester of our Sunday School began. We shared the Lord’s Supper together. And the congregation was warm, prayerful, and expectant. I was scheduled to resume our study of the Epistle of Colossians, but I was led in a different direction in light of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I preached Psalm 46 and called it, "A Safe Place in God." I’d give the sermon a B-. But God breathed on it and I believe the congregation was blessed, comforted, and edified. Or, it may just have been that they were glad to have me home! I intend to steal another Sunday before I get back to Colossians. Next Sunday will be the eve of our church revival and anniversary. So I intend to preach 2 Timothy 3:14-17 and challenge the church to continue in the Word of God. I can’t wait. Pray for my study this week.

I was so excited to be reunited to with our children (H.B. and Natalie) this weekend. They had been with family members and friends, while me and Crystal were out of town. I don’t know how much they missed us, with all the fun they were having. But we missed them. I almost couldn’t stop hugging and kissing them. I look forward to spending the time with them before they return to school this week. Truly, there’s no place like home!