Tuesday, September 13, 2005

We've got some catching up to do!

It has been about a week since I have last posted a blog. It feels like longer than that. A lot has gone on in the past week or so. So let's do some catching up.

Last week, Crystal and I stole away to a "undisclosed-location" to get rest. I have been on the road preaching for most of summer. And Crystal was with me through much of August. And we were tired. So we spent a few days together to catch up to ourselves and to one another. It was much needed and appreciated.

Sunday was a full day. I began my "new" new members class. It is an introduction, adventure, and experiment simultaneously. I am writing it, editing it, and teaching it at the same time. But we got off to a good start. I am looking forward to the weeks to come. I hope the students are, too! In the worship service, I preached on the Parable of the Growing Seed, recorded in Mark 4:26-29. I called it, "Experiencing Kingdom Growth." I pray it was as encouraging to the congregation as it was for me.

Yesterday began my first full week in the office in some weeks. So I had a lot of things to catch up on before staff meeting. Plus, I had some study to do for a sermon I delivered last night for Pastor Michael Starks and the Greater First Christian Church in Torrance. He asked me to deliver my message, "Is Gambling a Good Bet?" And I did. I hadn't preached it in about 3-4 years, since I delivered it at the late-night service of the National Baptist Convention. So I had a lot of revision to make to it. And I didn't have time to review it enough to preach it without a manuscript. The service started at 7 PM and I didn't leave the office until after 6 (translation: there was no way I was going to get to the service on time). My gas tank was on E. But we had a black-out here in LA yesterday, and every gas station near the church didn't have any power. So I had to go to Culver City to find a gas station. Then I rushed home and showered up. It was after 7 when we left the house, which is when it dawned on me that I had left my manuscript on my desk at the office. So not only did we have to find the church and find a place to copy the manuscript off of my USB drive. It was after 8 when we arrived at the church. And there was only 5 people there. But they were eager to hear the word. It was one of the most enriching meetings I spoken in all summer. The Lord is truly at work in that church. And I'm not sure if I was there to minister to them or they to me.

A couple of more notes...

My kids have begun school. H.B. III is now in the first grade. Natalie is in kindergarten. They're growing up fast. Pray that they will have a successful school year.

Audio files of my sermons are now on our church's website. You can find it under the MEDIA link on the site. Our plan is to place Sunday's sermons on the site every week. Hat's off to George, one of the associate pastors at MSMBC, for making it happen.

My September newsletter is also on my section of the church website, along with a new sermon I preached in the aftermath of 9/11. It's on Luke 13:6-9, entitled, "Jesus' Response to a National Tragedy." I posted it in light of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I hope you find it helpful.

Tomorrow night begins our church's church anniversary revival services. They'll run through Friday. Pastor John Adolph of the Antioch Baptist Church in Beaumont, Texas, will be our guest speaker. I am looking forward to a fruitful week of worship and fellowship. Pray that the Lord will bless this week of "revival" services and the celebration of Mt. Sinai's 63rd church anniversary this Sunday.