Thursday, August 25, 2005

Shepherds who Lead and Feed

I've had several conversations this week that implicitly affirmed the false dichotomy between pastors as preachers and pastors as administrators. The assumption is that some pastors are naturally strong teachers who just aren't gifted in the area of spiritual leadership. Others are skilled in giving oversight to the church, but they are just not skilled in teaching. As a preacher's kid, I have heard this kind of talk since I was a boy. Unfortunately, I have unconsciously picked up this way of speaking of pastoral ministry. But it's wrong. Pastors are called to both teach and lead. Shepherds must both lead and feed the sheep. Can you imagine a shepherd that only showed up at feeding time, but left the sheep to the wolves (or worse, left them to themselves!) the rest of the time? Or can you imagine a shepherd who was careful in leading and protecting the sheep, but carelessly fed them anything? Both scenarios are unthinkable! And that's they way it ought to be for those of us whom the Lord has made overseeing shepherds of the flock he has purchased with his own blood.

Personally, I am more inclined toward my preaching and teaching responsibilities than pastoral administration. I am kind of wired for prayer, reading, study, research, and writing. But I need a long nap to recover from most other areas of my pastoral responsibilities. I compensate for this in several ways. First, I remember that the only ministerial skill given in the biblical qualifications for spiritual leadership is the ability to teach (1 Tim. 3:2). So, honestly, I think I am justified in intentionally neglecting some things if my message isn't ready. But it's hard for me to recover if I have done all kinds of pastoral work during the week but stand to preach feeling that I am not fully ready. My primary task is to teach, defend, and apply sound doctrine to the lives of the believers and to body life of the congregation. Likewise, I am surrounded by coworkers who are skilled in areas of administration and organization that I am not. And the diligence with which they do their work allows me to play to my strengths. But this is not an excuse for me to neglect pastoral care and congregational administration. To be faithful to the calling God has placed on my life as a pastor-teacher, I must give God my best in both spiritual leadership and Bible exposition. Pray that God will help me to excel in both of these areas. Pray that every God-called shepherd would both lead and feed his flock. And, while you’re at it, pray that the sheep will both follow and swallow!