Saturday, August 27, 2005

My Big Brother's Celebration!


My wife Crystal and I are in Memphis to be a part of my big brother Kevin's celebration of 25 years in public ministry and 12 years as pastor of Riverside Baptist Church. My brother, Kevin B. Willis Sr., is a godly man, devoted husband (Tuesday will be he and Linda's 19th wedding anniversary) and father (Kelly and K.J.), strong preacher (In fact, I pastor a church where he's the favorite preacher of the congregation), and caring shepherd (to watch him interact with his members reminds me of my dad so much). Because we live in different parts of the country and are both traveling preachers, as well as pastor-teachers, we don't get a chance to see each other often. In fact, the last time we saw each other was while we were preaching in the same city earlier this year. So it's great to be here and celebrate this milestone with him. Last night, Linda and the Riverside church honored him with a beautiful banquet. Dr. Major Jemison (pastor of St. John B.C. in Oklahoma City and president of the Progressive National Baptist Convention) was the keynote speaker. He message was about "Going the Distance" from Philippians 3:13-14. It was timely and encouraging. Likewise, a woman from Kevin's former church in Dallas sung two hymns. She could really sing and was very reverent in her presentation of the songs. I really appreciated her ministry in song. In fact, I was blessed by it all. It was a great night all the way around. I am glad and grateful to be here for this special celebration.

I am scheduled to preach in the morning at Riverside Church. And I am very nervous. First of all, I don’t know what I am going to preach yet. And, beyond that, I hate preaching in front of my brother probably more than any other human being. It’s because I love him so much and I really do care about what he thinks of me and my ministry. I talk a good game. So if you listen to me long enough, you may hear my routine about not caring what other people think of me. But all of that immediately goes out the window when it comes to my brother. I want him to be proud of me. It’s kind of strange. I live about 5 minutes from the home in which I spent my childhood years. I am named after our dad. And I pastor the church he served for more than 40 years. But even though I am surrounded by many reminders of him, my heart and mind most directly links Kevin to my father. So it kind of makes it hard for me to be a good brother to him because he reminds me of our dad so much. But I love him deeply. Ignore the fact that we have different last names. Kevin is my brother (no blood tests needed; just look at us, man!). We are also brothers in Christ and co-laborers in the ministry. And I am so proud him. It's cool to be known around the country as "Kevin's little brother." I like to say that he’s my big brother “in whom I am well pleased.” And I am praying that the Lord continue to use him at Riverside and beyond to proclaim the Word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Happy Anniversary Kevin! Congratulation! Go the distance!