Sunday, October 02, 2011

Notes from Sunday - 10/02/11

This past week we hosted our first Fall Church institute at Shiloh. It was a great week of study, worship, and fellowship. I have received many good reports on the classes. And Pastor John Adolph ministered the word in a strong way each night. Praise God for blessing this step of faith!

Today was a good day of worship.

I enjoyed teaching my New Members Class today. I have been out for a few weeks. Glad to be back at it.

It was a great joy to lead the congregation in corporate praise to God.

We celebrated the Lord’s Table in both of our services today, which is always a special time in corporate worship.

Grateful for all the guests who joined us in worship today.

I preached a message from Mark 12:41-44 that I entitled “How the Lord Counts Your Offering.”

The point of today’s message what this: The motives of the giver is always more valuable to the Lord than the amount of the gift.

I endeavored to show the church three ways the Lord counts our offerings that go beyond the amount of the gift:

1. The Lord counts your offering by the commitment it declares.
2. The Lord counts your offering by the cost it demands.
3. The Lord counts your offering by the confidence it demonstrates.

Today was the first time I have preached about giving in more than a year. I felt the weight of the message as I preached. But I was very nervous about preaching about money.

I may swap out this week’s sermon for the one I plan to preach on the fourth Sunday. Stay tuned. And pray for my studies this week.

Praise God for those who were saved and added to the church today.

We were scheduled to worship with the Abyssinia Baptist Church this afternoon in celebration of Pastor Eugene Diamond’s pastoral anniversary. However, Pastor Diamond’s went home to be with the Lord this weekend. And the service was cancelled. Please remember the Diamond family and the Abyssinia congregation in your prayers.

My wife’s cousin also passed away this weekend in Seattle, WA. Please remember my family in your prayers this week. And pray for Crystal as she plans to travel to Seattle for the funeral.

The USC Trojans beat Arizona in a shoot-out 48-41.

The Dallas Cowboys lost to the Detroit Lions (30-34) thanks to the assistance of quarterback Tony Romo.

The Saints defeated the Jaguars this afternoon 23-10.

Apple is scheduled to announce the new iPhone this coming Tuesday. Be there!