Sunday, August 22, 2010

Notes from Sundays - 08/22/10

It was a good day of worship and fellowship today at Shiloh. The Lord blessed both of our services today in a special way.

We had quite of few guests in worship with us today. Some were special guests - teachers and administrators from local schools. And others who were invited by our members. However, they got there today, I was glad to have them in worship. For the record, a church cannot grow if no guests are attending.

When is the last time you personally invited someone to church?

Praise God for the one who was baptized today.

Our young adult chorale and youth choir led the musical praise today. It is always encouraging to have our young people serving in worship.

Deacon Harold Simmons, a member of the 8th Street Baptist Church of Kansas City and president of the Laymen's Department of the National Baptist Convention, USA Inc., led a special class for our men today during our Bible Study Fellowship time. Deacon Simmons was with us this week to speak at our Deacons' retreat. He was a blessing to our men all weekend.

In our 10 AM worship service, we held a special time of prayer for the school administrators, teachers, and students who begin classes tomorrow. As always, my prayer is that our children will grow as Jesus grew - in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man (Luke 2:51).

Pastor Kenneth A. Duke, who has served the New Jerusalem Primitive Baptist Church in MIami, was our guest speaker today. He preached from Habakkuk 3:17-19 in both services. He entitled the message, "I Still Have Joy!" It was a very encouraging message.

I met Pastor Duke a few years ago, as we were both preaching in Oklahoma City. It was during that meeting that I heard him preach for the first time. I have followed his ministry since then. And I have a great respect and appreciation for him. It was an honor and blessing to have him minister the word to our church family today.

Habakkuk is a Minor Prophet with a major message! My faith is always stretched in great and unique ways when I read or hear this book.

Praise God for those who were saved and added to the church today.

I cannot describe how good it was today to sit under the teaching of the word and to join the saints in being ministered to today. Most Sundays, I am preaching in worship. Today was a rare treat to be under the teaching of the word today.

Not being scheduled to preach today, I was all more prayerful today for my brothers who had to stand today to declare the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

I have a compulsion. Before I was out of church three hours, I was thinking about the next sermon I have to preach on this Wednesday night. Woe unto me if I do not preach!

Throughout the day, I have been thinking that the real strength of a church is not found in what happens on Sundays, but on what happens between Sundays.

Just in case you did not know, NFL football has begun. I know it's only preseason. But I am enjoying the games anyway. I am ready to get the season started and cheer the Dallas Cowboys onto a Superbowl championship!

Wondering what AFC team will meet the Cowboys in the Superbowl. Any predictions?