Sunday, August 08, 2010

Notes from Sunday - 08/08/10

We had a good day of worship and fellowship today at the Shiloh Church.

Praise God for those who were baptized in worship today.

Our children’s choir led in musical praise today. As always, it was encouraging to have the little ones participating in worship today.

It was really cool to meet some of the guests who were in worship today. It is great that the members are inviting their family and friends to church with them.

Our choir sung “But God” today from Ron Winans Family & Friends IV. I really love this song. And it was a great blessing to hear it today. I was tempted to get a piece of it when I stood up to preach, but my better judgment prevailed. I had work to do.

I continued my brief series on the book of Ruth today with a message on Ruth 2 that I entitled “Nothing Just Happens!”

I’ll let you in on a little secret: I needed that sermon that I preached today more than anyone else!

This is the second week in a row that I have struggled to organize the text for preaching. Late last night, I wrestled with two different ways to preach the text. I am glad the Lord led me to preach it the way I did.

I had a lot of text and a limited amount of time. It was a challenge. But I really enjoyed preaching this message today. What a mighty God we serve!

I read a statement years ago that has really stuck with it: “The Bible is filled with stories about people. Let them live.” The more time I spend studying the stories of the Bible, the more I am learning to appreciate the rich theology embedded within biblical narratives.

I cannot wait to get to chapter 3.

I am thinking about and praying for a family that suffered a tragedy this weekend.

Praise God for those who were added to the church today!

Crystal cooked dinner today. It is rare for her to cook on Sundays. It was a rare treat! We “fared sumptuously”!

The Dallas Cowboys are playing the Cincinnati Bengals in a pre-season game this evening. It is still in the first quarter as I write, but you already know my prediction. Cowboys win!!!

In the morning, I am scheduled to fly to London to participate in The Proclaimer’s Place preaching seminar under the leadership of Dr. Joel Gregory. Pray for my travels and that my skills as a student of the word and preacher will be sharpened.