Sunday, November 29, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 11/29/09

We emphasize world missions and local outreach on fifth Sundays at Shiloh. Praise God for those who set aside a gift to share toward our mission and outreach efforts.

A big “shout out” (see, I can be hip, too) to Henry Meyers for sharing with us today about the work of Mission Harvest America.

Our Sunday morning Bible Study Fellowship groups are studying through The Fundamentals of the Faith workbook (produced by Grace Community Church in Southern California and published by Moody). I am encouraged by the reports I am receiving of how our members are learning and growing. 3 John 4.

Our women’s chorus led us in musical praise today. I am grateful to God for their service.

As always, I am grateful for all of the guests who were in worship with us today. It was good to meet Shiloh member relatives who were in town for the holiday.

Praise God for the family that was baptized in our service this morning.

My little sister, Donetta, sang one of my favorite hymns today: “Only What You Do For Christ Will Last.” (Please pray for her as she makes her way home to Oklahoma City this week).

I decided to preach today on Missions. I preached from Psalm 67, which is called “The Missionary Psalm.”

This psalm has had a tremendous impact on my view of missions. Rather than focusing on the needs of men, it focuses on the glory of God. Our devotion to God should move us to strive to reach the nations.

Random testimony: I love the book of Psalms!

I have been struggling with sinus problems the past couple of days. It made it very difficult to preach both times today. It was hard to just talk, which made it hard to concentrate. Thank God for his help. Please pray for me.

I plan to resume my study of Philippians next week with a message on chapter 4, verses 2-3.

Praise God for those who were added to the church today.

No Cowboys today. They took care of business Thursday by beating down the Raiders The Cowboys now lead their division with an 8-3 record.

Please make note that Shiloh has a new web address: www.smbcjax.com.