Sunday, November 15, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 11/15/09

Praise God for another Lord’s Day in worship at the Shiloh Baptist Church.

I taught my New Members Class for the first time in two weeks. It was good to be back in the saddle again. Thank Deacon Brinkley for filling in.

The choir sung one of my favorite Thompson Community Singers songs this morning – “I Tried Him And I Know Him.” (Does anyone remember all the great "Tommies" songs that Kim McFarland led?). It was very encouraging.

I continued my study of Philippians today with a message on 3:15-19 that I called, “The Importance of Christian Fellowship.”

I actually spent this week studying Philippians 3:15-16. However, Saturday afternoon my plans changed and I decided to preach verses 15-19. I am glad that I did.

I hope to go back to preached the sermon I prepared on verses 15-16 someday. But I really doubt that it will happen.

Next week’s text: Philippians 3:20-4:1.

Random Bible study note: The Bible was not written in verses and paragraphs. It was written in complete thoughts. The verse-chapter divisions were added centuries later. And they are not Inspired.

Thank God for those who were added to the church today.

Congratulations to Pastor George E. Hurtt and the Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church on your celebration of one year together as pastor and people. Philippians 1:3.

I cannot believe the USC Trojans were beat down by Stanford yesterday. Stanford? Stanford! Oh well, no Rose Bowl this year.

Last night Manny Pacquiao made history by scoring at twelfth round TKO again Miguel Cotto. Bring on Pacquiao vs. Mayweather!

The Dallas Cowboys suffered a disappointing loss to the Green Bay Packers this afternoon.

The Jaguars pulled one out against the New York Jets today. Interesting decision to down the ball at the one yard line. Good thing they made the field goal.