Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Gift of Suffering

This past Sunday, I concluded my study of Philippians chapter 1 with a message on verses 29-30, entitled, "The Gift of Suffering." Here is the sermon skeleton:

TITLE: “The Gift of Suffering”

TEXT: Philippians 1:29-30

SERIES: PHILIPPIANS: PARTNERSHIP IN THE GOSPEL

THEME: The gift of suffering

POINT: Christian suffering is a gift from God to be embraced and endured with joy.

TRANSITION: Consider with we me three things these two verses teach us about Christian suffering.

OUTLINE:

I. The privilege of Christian suffering (1:29)

A. Belief in Christ is a gift from God: "For it has been granted to you for the sake of Christ not only to believe in him"

B. Suffering for Christ is a gift from God: "but also to suffer for his sake"

II. The purpose of Christian suffering (1:29) - "for the sake of Christ"/"For his sake"

A. Our suffering advances the gospel of Christ

B. Our suffering advances our growth in Christ

III. The proof of Christian suffering (1:30)

A. We are engaged in a spiritual conflict: "engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and hear that I still have"

B. We are engaged in the same conflict: "engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and hear that I still have"