Monday, January 12, 2009

Notes from Sunday - 1/11/09

It was a good day in worship yesterday at Shiloh. For many reasons, it was a particularly long day for me. But it was a good day. God blessed us.

2 Corinthians 12:9 got me through the day: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

I continued the series "Going Forward with God... Together." Yesterday's message was from Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 - "Two Are Better Than One."

It is particularly challenging to preach obscure and difficult passages. Without a doubt, they are God-breathed and spiritually profitable. But how we handle them from the pulpit can shape a congregation's attitude toward the texts or portions of scripture that are not regularly addressed. I felt the weight of this challenge as I preached this message.

I should add a line to the run I did in my first point: "Pastoral ministry is hard work."

The tyranny of the clock...

Monitors! Monitors! Monitors! Arrgghhh!!!

Praise God for those the Lord added to our congregation.

Yesterday was my second week teaching the new members class at SMBC. We moved from the main auditorium to the Coleman auditorium, which helped me to concentrate a little more. Plus I did not rush through the lesson as much as I did last week. I am looking forward to these sessions and was excited about the attendance. I hope the new members found it helpful.

Before the message, the choir sung "I Tried Him and I know Him" - an (relatively) old song from the Thompson Community Singers. It is one of the classic songs that Kim McFarland led on one of their recordings. The choir did a wonderful job with it. It was very moving and encouraging.

Our children's choir sung in our 10 AM worship service. And they did a wonderful job. It was the beginning of their regular participation in our Lord's Day worship services on second Sundays.

After our services, I met with our ministry leaders for about 30 minutes. We discussed several opportunities to serve that will be extended to the congregation. There are many people who diligently serve in and beyond the life of our church. And I pray God will move even more people to become participating members in the body-life of SMBC. Likewise, I am grateful for the ministry leaders of Shiloh. In fact, I am rather impressed with them. And few things impress me.

Yesterday afternoon, we began an outreach on a local radio station - WCGL 1360 AM on Sunday  afternoons, 4:15-4:45. Likewise, I weekly TV broadcast move to CW 17 at 7:30 on Sunday mornings. May the Lord use these media outreaches to reach many people and change many lives.

I believe that the evidence of what God is doing in the life of its church cannot be determined merely by records and reports. It is found in the stories of how God is at work in the lives of the members. I thought about this as I reflected on several testimonies and praise reports I received between and after services yesterday. It is very encouraging to hear how the Lord is doing great things in the lives of his people. Praise the Lord!