Monday, November 24, 2008

Notes from Sunday - 11/23/08

I am fighting off a cold. And I blame Jacksonville! I thought I was moving to sunny Florida. And it is. Sunny. And cold! This past week, the temperature rose and dropped from day to day. It was in the 30's at points. And by the end of the week, I was fighting off cold symptoms. Who knew that I would need a big overcoat in Florida? But several members of Shiloh have informed me that Jacksonville is not Florida. It's south Georgia! Now you tell me.

Yesterday, I continued my series on Luke 15 - "Lost People Matter to God." I preached the second of the three parables Jesus tells in that chapter - verses 8-10. I called the message, "The God of the Lost Coin."

I was not feeling well during the 8 AM service. And I felt even worse after preaching. But after a cup of tea, several cough drops, and a lot of prayer, I felt better as I preached the 10 AM meeting. Praise God!

I cannot wait to get to the Parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32) next Sunday. This parable is three-dimensional. And I plan to preach messages from the perspectives of the loving father, the prodigal son, and the elder brother.

Sunday's message: "The God of the Wayward Child."

Yesterday was my first baby dedications at Shiloh. It was great. But I only observed. Pastor Letson did the dedications. It would not have been a good thing for me to be sniffling over the babies.

After service, there was a luncheon for the members of Shiloh who have been a part of the church for more than fifty years. There are 67 people who have been a part of the church for more than fifty years. Wow! My family and I enjoyed the opportunity to fellowship with the senior saints of Shiloh. H.B. and Natalie even helped serve the food. Who are these children?

Last night, Hailey and I caught a flight to Oklahoma City (Yep. You read that right. Me and Hailey!).

My boyhood friend, Joe Carter - pastor of the New Hope Church in Newark - is funeralizing his mother today. And I wanted to be here with him to be an encouragement to him and his family. The service will be held today at the Fairview Baptist Church, where Dr. John Reed pastors. Please remember the entire Carter family in your prayers.

My mother lives in Oklahoma City. And I brought Hailey with me so that some of my family members here can meet her. Particularly, I want my grandmother to meet Hailey. It will be a treat for her.

Hailey is her daddy's baby. She was a real pro at airport travel last night. You would think that my 8-month-old was a regular business traveler.

The Dallas Cowboys put a beat-down on the 49ers 35-22.

The Jaguars lost to the Vikings 12-30. The Jags are not 4-7 on the season. But who's counting.